Sunday, June 21, 2009

PTSD Sucks

Mark (my boyfriend) has PTSD. I wasn't expecting to really get into it so early on my blog but after what happened last night, I wanted to use this as an outlet to get the word out about PTSD resources for others who may be going through something like this.


So last night Mark had an emergency call to go to MAMC for a mass casualty incident and it really through him for a loop. He had multiple flashbacks from when he was on his deployment and was totally out of it when he came home last night. I'm not going into details but I can say it's a totally different experience when you see you're loved one immediately after being part of another traumatic event compared to seeing them come home from a deployment where they've had traumatic events happen and had time to process it. This whole PTSD thing just sucks every ounce of energy out of him. And there isn't anything I can do that will help him to work through the emotions he's feeling and that sucks more. I'm sorry in advance for being selfish and unreasonable-- you can all judge me if you want but I'm just going to be real here: I am so angry about this war and what it did to Mark. I know he signed up for his service and believe me, under normal circumstances I wouldn't be so quick to put all the blame on the military but yeah, I'm going there. I know the Army has done a lot of good things for Mark and I and don't want this to overshadow that but sometimes you need to be angry to get through your emotions.

*deep breath* Anyway, now that I've vented and gotten that out my system. . . I'm back to loving the Army (ha! maybe love is a strong word :-P)

There are a couple of websites I've used in the past to get information about PTSD (and other military things). I know a lot of you military folks already know about:


I cannot stress enough how many great resources there are on this website. Not just PTSD specific, they have given me many useful tools in the past.

Also:


They have some excellent articles and information on finding providers.


I hope someone will find this to be helpful. If you have any other resources I'd love to have them!

Now onto some totally unrelated blabbing. For the rest of the day I'm going to do my Wii Active workout and then get some more cleaning done. My neighbor Marcy might come up later to use my computer and hang out, and then I'll be finding something to make for dinner. I don't know what I'm in the mood for, but I want it to be something good for when Mark gets off from work!

~LeAnn



0 comments: